Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Caving vs. Craving

I went to my WW meeting last night and I weighed in. It wasn't pretty, but I knew that. The meeting was ok, but I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know.

crav·ing
: an intense, urgent, or abnormal desire or longing

When I read this definition, it takes on an entirely different meaning. In my head, I think of a craving simply as "I really want that candy bar." But reading the definition, it makes me think that craving anything seems like a desperate act. Like I am a crazed lunatic for wanting a candy bar! "Intense", "Urgent", "Abnormal desire"... such powerful words.

So, I am going to look at it as "caving" not "craving".

cav-ing: : to cause to fall or collapse

That sounds more like it. I think I tend to cave more than I crave. I usually cave due to emotional reasons. My emotional eating triggers are boredom, anger and stress. I am sure most people can relate to this. I am going to make myself more aware of why I am felling the need to eat.

I realize that I am going to cave and crave from time to time, but as long as it is in moderation, I can deal with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment